Poetry Review - Depression & Other Magic Tricks - Mental Health, love, & Family -

12:00 PM


34594982
Depression & Other Magic Tricks is the debut book by Sabrina Benaim, one of the most-viewed performance poets of all time, whose poem "Explaining My Depression to My Mother" has become a cultural phenomenon with over 5,000,000 views. Depression & Other Magic Tricks explores themes of mental health, love, and family. It is a documentation of struggle and triumph, a celebration of daily life and of living. Benaim's wit, empathy, and gift for language produce a work of endless wonder.



Depression & Other Magic Tricks by Sabrina Benaim is a powerful book of words. The themes of this book deal with mental health, love, and family. Her way of twisting words is a talent. The first time I head of Sabrina was her poem, 'Explaining My Depression to My Mother' on YouTube. Her ability to perform her poetry is only a part of her art because I enjoy reading this book as much as I enjoy her performing them. The formatting of the book helps to know how to read it.

One of my favorite lines is from the poem (i) and it goes 'we were no full moon. in my poems you are the dream of you. the falling stars are just glitter just thousands of tiny LED lights.' Because of all the great play on words, the picture it paints, just over a good read. Other poems book I enjoyed was 'on releasing light' and 'so my friend tells me she identifies as a mermaid...'
Overall this book was a meaningful read, that I had to keep reading, because of the beautiful writing.
(I was giving this book through NetGalley for an honest review.)





You Might Also Like

0 comments

I Review for...

Professional Reader

Reviews Published50 Book Reviews